Sunday, June 29, 2008

Desperation 08!!!! Kalamazoo, MI

the coach driver with Amber, Sydney and AngelBritt, Syd and I before the first service....this is when we actually had some sleep in us
this is what happens after very little sleep and teenagers getting up at 6 a.m.

the church looking at it from the back door of the sanctuary
our students holding up their "vows" to live their lives for God.

well we returned from the Desperation Conference at 5:30 this morning after driving all night on a coach...not really a great night's sleep if you know what I mean. But it's funny how our human comforts really pale in comparison to certain things.....
The past three days were amazing! Three summers ago, Britt and I traveled to Colorado Springs for this conference. The following summer I took all four of my children plus a few extra. This year I took twenty-two and NEXT year I am believing for 50!

As parents there are many things we do for our children......our culture is so consumed with all the external things ........Desperation is about the internal and eternal!
I would not trade anything for this time.....I would sacrifice anything to see teenagers sit in the presence of God and be changed like I saw the past three days!

We chase so many useless things....
as adults we have sometimes been such bad examples to the generation coming up!
I am determined to give my life over to serve young people.

My kids won't really ever care what food I fed them, what clothes they wore, what books they read, how much money we made, the size of our house, what movies they watched......
I believe they will care that they learned..................
the power of prayer
being still before God
dreaming huge dreams for Him
having a heart that breaks for the lost
feeding the hungry
healing the sick
passionately pursuing their maker!
encountering God.....
that is what Desperation is about...it's not hype.....
my generation has made many mistakes ......
there is a desperate army of students who don't want to make the same ones.
Who want to actually live what they say they believe.
and lead their peers out of apathy towards God.

In the end, I believe that is what my children will care about.
As they go into all the world....this world needs more than games, cute prayers, selfish Christians who view humanitarianism as a feather in their cap rather than a purpose, a call and an honor.
I truly believe I saw the generation who are going to be those life changers!

5 comments:

JC said...

Yes!!
50 teens....YES!
Where will it be next year?

Suevera said...

same locations. Kalamazoo. Birmingham and Colorado Springs. Dates are already set. June 25-27th for Michigan.

Unknown said...

50 kids--IT WILL happen. What a commitment you all make to go there. So awesome you really want people to go there.

Shainerz said...

Sue,
Remember to keep dreaming big yourself!!...look where your dreams have brought you so far!! Seriously, thanks so much for all of the behind the scene work for this and just sincerely having a heart for teens. I didn't hear one teen say they didn't have an amazing time there. God did some pretty incredible things and it more than likely wouldn't have happend if there wasn't a faithful and passionate leader like yourself who goes above and beyond to provide opportunities like this. Bless you for all you do for that youth group! They are a lucky bunch of teens.

Thank you LORD for the amazing weekend!!!! Great post.

Tabitha said...

I read this post earlier and had to reread it again after church today. It was amazing to be a part of the service. What an honor to hold you and these kids up in prayer; I too will be praying for the school. There is such an emptiness in so many young lives. It seems overwhelming to me and my husband to reach them all, but these young people will get it done. Praise God!