Thursday, January 31, 2008

there is a reason boxers wear gloves.....

Honestly...
I was just thinking this morning how it's the end of January and I should probably post something on my blog...but what? Maybe talk about the cold weather we've been having; boring.
Or talk about this awful head cold I have....again...boring.
Then my son solved the mystery for me. He's such a thoughtful son.

How so, you ask?
When I picked him up from school today I thought he was hiding something inside the front kangaroo pocket of his hoodie. I noticed him holding something inside of it as he got in the car. What could it be? a good report card, a surprise gift?
As he stepped into the vehicle he took his right hand out of the pocket, I looked down to see what was there!
Nothing!
Empty handed.
But wait...it's a very swollen empty hand!

that brings me to the subject of this post...my son, decided to defend himself against a kid who's been giving him a hard time since we moved here. A big, foul mouthed kid who hates him and also happens to be on his basketball team. I won't name the kid, but he punched Brock today and so Brock punched back. Unfortunately, Brock's form was so good as his clenched fist made contact with "large, hard headed bully" that he sustained a "boxer's break". His third metacarpal (knuckle bone) on his RIGHT hand is broken!

This means the end of another sport's season for Brock! That's the hardest part in all of this. Besides the fact that this kid feels he can pick on Brock for over a year now and when Brock finally has had enough and fights back, he is the one who in the end will suffer. "The bully" will remain on the team playing for the rest of the season. Brock is out for at least four weeks, at which time they will do another x-ray to determine how it's healing.

Not sure what the moral of this story is... and I am not sure what I would ever post about if my son didn't have his injuries. He's sporting his school color on his arm, popping tylenol for the pain and lamenting the loss of his favorite sport's season.

4 comments:

Tabitha said...

Hi Sue-
Tabitha Dodge here. I was blog surfing and came across Brobergs which then led me to yours. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. I hope he heals quickly.

dangeresque dan said...

It stinks he is out for the remainder of the season. But, at least he's capable of defending himself. It's important. And, the boy will probably not pick on him anymore. If Brock hadn't broken his finger would he still be allowed to play since the fight was with a teammate?

Colonel Havoc said...

Would it be wrong for me to say, "Way to go, Brock"?

That's what I want to say, anyway.

Abe said...

Funny, All the guys say, "Way to go Brock."

This too was my response.
"Good for you Brock. Now just work on your aim. I hear the nose seems to disorientate big headed bullies."

Of course being the politically correct person that I am (lol...not)still, I didn't say anything.