This month, Sparta hosted an event called "Butterfest". A carnival is set up in the town's park and there are many activities throughout the weekend, including a parade. Much like the ones we were used to up in Hibbing, there were a lot of homemade floats and school bands. I couldn't believe what a huge deal this event is..softball tourneys, contests of all sorts, food, games and concerts.
Recently, we discovered a local beach, which is only a ten minute drive from our house. So we have spent many a hot day down there. Fort McCoy is right down the highway from us and they have a nice campground facility there. Anyone looking at doing some camping should check it out. The beach is a part of the campground. It's clean, sandy and well maintained. They have lots of lifeguards (just ask my girls all their names) and two slides out on a floating dock. The kids are enjoying it and Britt drives down there after work a lot.
June has been a very hot month so far and we sure could use some rain...!
Another summer month gone...July promises to be full of fun and adventure.
That's it for now.

Brock sitting on the beach at Fort McCoy; the heat index was one hundred this particular day.

I had to include this picture for all of you who think people just drive around in tractors around here... oh wait....nevermind.

A farmer on stilts talks to some kids along the parade route

The Sparta Marching Band banner... in the Butterfest parade.
7 comments:
That's awesome that you all are making the best out of your summer. Definitely, it's the place for you all.
Butterfest.. such a great name for an event in Wisconsin. You all just keep discovering neat things about the area.
It just dawned on me yesterday that June is almost over! Didn't summer JUST start?! Wow.
Love you all! Have a great weekend.
Butterfest...that is just too funny. Especially for the cycling capital of the U.S.!
Our corn is ready to be harvested.How about yours? I'm so sick of seeing cornfields!
Sue - looks your summer is turning out to be great! Ours would be so much better if only it stopped raining! My grass is as high as an elephant's eye (not really - but it would be if I didn't mow it every week) and the vegetation is lush - but it has come at a high price.
Love the photos you took - there is something to be said for living in a small community.
Oh Sue - Bob Mitton 'tagged' me on the blog so I have tagged you too! If you go to my blog http://smelkerseven.blogspot.com/ you'll see what the question is. Kinda fun to answer.
I would have emailed you but I am not sure that I have the correct email address.
I love Ft. McCoy!!
I think I just love Sparta in general. Happy July!
Hi, I want to send some greatings from Iceland the land of vine and honey. We sure want you guyis to visit us, hope it will happen some day.
LU Kata
you've been tagged, check out my blog
Post a Comment