They say that dogs are man's best friend and I would agree.
We got Nanny in December of 1999, she was a birthday gift for me from Randy. She was a big ball of fluff with bows in her hair. Our Saint Bernard!
She was the best dog we ever had and today our family grieves the loss of our Nanna.
The big, strong girl who watched over the children with a watchful eye.
Our gentle giant....
she had one litter of pups and was an amazing mother to them as they demanded so much of her...being mom to 12 is overwhelming and she handled it like she was born to be a mamma.
She was my friend...for walks, for talks........she would look at me with her big brown eyes with understanding and selfless love.
She was the dog that didn't romp all over or make a mess.
She just sat stoic no matter where or what the situation. She never demanded anything of us.
We knew her time with us was drawing to a close as her quality of life diminished. The past two weeks especially were rough. Her ability to move about was very difficult for her. Her legs didn't seem to work anymore and her appetite lessened.
We told the children that she would have to be put to sleep soon so that they could all say their good-byes.
Brock told me that he spent his time with her and told her "Nanny you are the best dog we ever had". That broke my heart to hear.
We are all mourning the loss of an amazing family pet who we were blessed to have in our lives for almost ten full years.
Hunting trips, camping trips, visits to Grandma's house where she could romp in the winter snow on their property.....memories of our graceful, beautiful lady.
Inside of me there is a pain that won't stop. I didn't know it would be THIS hard.
I know with time it will lessen and I will be able to look back and smile at the wonderful slobbery Saint that grew up with our four children.
But for now I look at the empty kennel, the dog bowl sitting empty and the spot in the garage she used to lay on the cool cement and the tears won't stop.
This is a tribute to my Nanny:
Big and lumbering
yet sweet and full of grace
just loving to be near us
it didn't matter the place
the snow was her love
laying in it as it would fall
it's like she was born to sit there
covered, she didn't care at all.
She went hunting with Randy once
she was so scared of the gun
But she retrieved like a pro
and together they had such fun,
She was our camping dog
great to have around the site
she never asked us for much
she just snored through the night,
She loved us all unconditionally
watching us where ever we would go
nothing was done quickly
even our walks were taken slow.
I will always remember you Nanna
You were definitely my best friend
wish we could have had you forever...
but our time has come to an end.
My heart is wrapped in this pain
I just wanted you to know
how much of my love you had
and why we had to let you go
we couldn't watch you suffer anymore
your time had seemed to be here
good night my sweet lady friend
my Nanny, my love, my dear.
4 comments:
Oh Sue...my heart goes out to you. How difficult it is to lose such a great dog! It's amazing how deep they can be etched into your heart. Sometimes you don't realize how special they are until you lose them. I remember my first dog, Lucca. She was the best dog we ever had. I definitely felt the pain for a long time after she passed away. I pray that God would send healing to your heart.
Catching up on the blogs after a busy weekend.
As we usually all keep up via facebook these days, I am glad the blogs still exist for longer, meaningful posts like this one.
Again, our heartfelt condolances. We, of course, joke about our dog, but I know how sad it will be when she finally passes. I can't imagine the pain in the loss of a wownderful, big ol' dog like Nanny.
Sorry. :(
Hope you all are doing ok in this time, Sue. Losing a pet is a hard process to go through. She was a great dog. God definitely appreciated how well you took care of her and love her. Praying for you and your family.
-Brooke
Post a Comment