
I am way late with this birthday post....today is actually my eldest brother, Robin's birthday (Happy Birthday across the miles).
This past week Jessica turned 18 years old. Eighteen! Two children now adults, how can it be?
Jessica Rae, my second born....a surprise for sure! Born on a cold winter day in northern Ontario. A playmate for your young sister; only thirteen months apart.
We had a list of names written out for you, whether you were a boy or a girl. Then we saw that face and knew NONE of them fit. You had this round face, strong and beautiful and it was as if we had to find just the right name deserving of the huge brown eyes that stared up at us. So we threw out the list and stole the name of my room mate's baby...once she had been sent home.
Jessica Rae, my strong willed girl. You were then and you still are!
But thankfully God has taken that will and made you a powerhouse for Him. A young woman who is teaching herself piano, writing her own worship songs, on a path that is narrow and no one can deter you from the goal!
One time when you were about fifteen months old we went on a little vacation and we were walking outside. My father had just passed away and I was feeling rather down...I had not the energy or spark at that time. Brittany held my hand as we slowly walked side by side and you, my independent girl ran the opposite direction! I wanted to say, "don't you see your mom is sad right now?"
But as I said come here, you smiled your lopsided grin and ran the other way! You thought it was so funny!
it was a realization of what being your mom would entail.
you love to smile
you love to laugh
you love to challenge
and you rescue me from myself, time and time again.
.... being your mother has been a journey I wouldn't have missed for anything!
I know this next year will bring huge changes for all of us....I know the road ahead is going to be narrow for you!
So run .....run with your smile and don't stop or get sidetracked.
Happy 18th Birthday Jessica Rae! here's to many more!
3 comments:
The Lord's going to do so much more amazing things in her life. It'll be awesome. I am glad she had a wonderful birthday. Keep growing through Christ Jessie!
I love that cake. It's definitely a Jessie cake.
That was beautiful. Just had to say that. And your title, I don't know what it is, but I've been thinking about the term "bittersweet" for a long time now. It's in my song that I performed at the talent show. And when we were on our way back to hibbing, we saw a sign that said Bittersweet Drive. And I thought that perfectly described what we were doing. We were going home (sweet) but it was like we were leaving another home behind (bitter). Anyways. I love Jessica Rae, and I loved being with all of you this past weekend. You are all constantly in my prayers and I hope we get to see each other again soon.
tootles! :)
Post a Comment