
Nervous silence filled the hall, as they sat side by side gowns pulled around their bodies. The report that they had found "something" was greeted with unbelief.
She kept her eyes down, not wanting to see the fear in the eyes of the women who walked in and out of the hallway or the ones who sat in chairs waiting. Everyone seems to whisper and she wonders if they are talking about her....somewhat like a junior high girl sitting alone in the cafeteria.
She enters the room and follows the directions of the nurse, somehow hoping that if she is well behaved everything will be ok. That they will tell her they were wrong.....that suddenly that mass will have disappeared.
The ultrasound shows it clearly and the doctor informs her of the next step, a biopsy will be necessary and needs to be done immediately. What news! The imagination takes flight and the "what if's" fill the soul. It is impossible to hold back tears as much as she wants to. She takes the hand of the one she promised to love in sickness and in health.
She grabs her things from her locker, glancing down the small hallway at the others still waiting. Feeling like we are a team and there is a sisterhood now.
The days that follow the biopsy are ones of half fear and half faith.....
half dread and half hope
wanting to believe for the best.......but fearing the disappointment if the worst news comes.
The phone call comes long distance for her. It is not cancer. She will not have to undergo further surgeries even. The mass is benign.
The words of her amazing doctor coming through her cell phone, seems like one of the moments for her that she will remember her whole life. Her thoughts go to the other women who sat with her, gowns clasped in nervous hands....how many of them received different news?
She is me....and this is my journey.
To all my friends out there....go and get a mammogram! My mass was too small to be detected in a self check. My mammogram was done as part of my pre-op for my nasal surgery. Take care of yourselves first. I realize that truth more now than ever and share my story only so that if you know me personally, you might be motivated to face the unpleasant tests for they are potentially life saving.
8 comments:
Wow! What a story! Praise God that all is well and the mass was benign! You've really been going through a lot lately. My prayers continue to be with you. I'm so glad that everything is ok.
Praise YOU, Jesus!!
Faith not Fear...thanks for the reminder! Ohh how i wish I could give you a hug so strong right now. You're remaining in my prayers, too. :)
Oh Sue - Sorry you went through that. My OB would not clear me for this latest surrogacy until I had a mammogram. I was 39 at the time. I mentioned that I was told women only needed them from the time they were 40. He said he recommends all his patients go starting at age 35.
So thankful everything was clear.
OH SUE, MY PRAYERS ARE CERTAINLY WITH YOU!! YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO TREMENDOUSLY MUCH, BUT OBVIOUSLY WITH GRACE & WIT!! I WISH YOU QUICK HEALING & GOOD HEALTH NOW THAT THIS ORDEAL IS BEHIND YOU. TAKE CARE, MY FRIEND, & THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY & INSPIRING ME TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF & THOSE I LOVE.
Hey Sue- Good word. I'm soooo glad everything turned out benign. You are blessed. My dr. told me the same thing as Cori. Mammograms are to be started in mid to late 30's so they have something to compare it to when you are 40. I already had mine done...along with a whole bunch of other stuff that could be bloggable, but decided against it!
What a huge relief! I know I would have been dreading the news. I am glad everything's okay.
Thank you dear Lord for Sue's good health. Please continue to bless her and keep her for your great purpose. In Jesus's Name, Amen.
Yes, amen!Thank you Lord that she's okay. Bless her health and her family's health do! Thank you for what you are doing in their lives! In Your Name I pray, amen.
Post a Comment