Sunday, December 23, 2007

the tale of two couches....

I was sitting in church this morning, daydreaming a little and thinking of all the great things in my life. As a child, I always longed to be a mother. When others followed their career paths, I did not feel the same passion for higher education...sometimes I even felt a lack of direction that concerned me. All those times of feeling like a wandering soul sometimes became frustrating.

There is something about this day, this Christmas season, this stage of life I am in that put everything in my heart in order. Every little thing made total sense. Today at church our service was a special family service from our pastoral staff families to our church families and so we were all sitting on couches on the platform. I sat in a large chair beside one couch and I couldn't help but stare at four young people poised and dressed up, sitting together just beside me. Across the platform on another couch was Pastor Aaron and his young family. Two young boys sat with crayons, coloring books and whatever else was needed to keep them behaving in front of the church, while an infant girl slept in her father's arms. My life as a mother, before my eyes sitting across from each other.

Three young women and a young man...were they really mine? Wasn't I the one keeping them in order with coloring books and dolls just yesterday.
Christmas time brings every amazing and fulfilling thing of my life into focus.
The Love of family
the importance of faith,
something deeper than the amount of money we make,
the size of our house,
the education I have.....
years ago I dreamed a dream...
it has come true.
how many people can truly say that?
I am so blessed that I can.....not a thing lacking....meaningful things put in perspective.
Merry Christmas to all....may all your dreams come true.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Great reflection Sue. You are definitely a thankful person. God gives us so much! Repaying Him for all those good things just hard to imagine.

Shainerz said...

thank you for the encouragement!!!!
you are such a BLESSING!
Merry Christmas to you all